Monday, August 25, 2008

Note to self when drowning in the Niagara River, if rescued report to US customs first


Two Toronto-area men are behind bars in Buffalo after being dramatically rescued from the Niagara River.

Both were riding Sea-Doos when they were knocked into the water after hitting strong currents.

One was rescued by a US tour boat, the other was washed ashore. They were taken into custody by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service and were charged with failure to report on landfall into the States.
They will attend a closed hearing before an immigration judge today. It's expected, they'll either be issued a removal order and deported back to Canada or the judge may dismiss the charges against them.

"If a removal order is issued, the two will need to go through an extensive application process in order to return to the U.S."
So much for that the largest unprotected border claim at least on the south side.

Canada's department of foreign affairs has declined to comment.



Reference: from CNEWS here.

1 comment:

Skinny Dipper said...

Shall I sarcastically state that these two men should be sent to Guantanamo Bay?

Heck, I went through an unmanned border crossing from the Czech Republic to Germany a couple years ago before the Schengen open-border agreement. I was stopped by a German border patrol car and the officers asked if I had any cheap cigarettes in my daypack. After showing my passport and my daypack, I was let go and continued my journey into Germany.

I guess Mound was right

Every major global climate record was broken last year and 2024 could be worse, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Tuesday,...