Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday Night Acid Test

This weeks edition of the Fright Night Acid Test is dedicated to Albert Hofmann, the father of LSD who passed away this week at the age of 102.


The Swiss chemist discovered lysergic acid diethylamide-25 in 1938 while studying the medicinal uses of a fungus found on wheat and other grains at the Sandoz pharmaceuticals firm in Basel. A tiny amount of the substance seeped on to his finger during a repeat of the laboratory experiment on April 16, 1943.
Albert described what was in fact the first acid trip to Swiss TV on a program celebrating his 100th birthday. "Everything I saw was distorted as in a warped mirror," he said, describing his bicycle ride home. "I had the impression I was rooted to the spot. But my assistant told me we were actually going very fast." Upon reaching home, Hofmann began experiencing what he called a "vision. "What I was thinking appeared in colours and in pictures."
An amazing memory for someone 100 years old. All I can remember from the two day Varsity Stadium concert, where Norman Greenbaum performed Spirit in the Sky one afternoon, was everyone jumping up, giggling, dancing and singing along. And then Alice Cooper set off a weather ballon and all was lost.

Find out more about Albert Hofmann here or here. Peace


No comments:

I guess Mound was right

Every major global climate record was broken last year and 2024 could be worse, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Tuesday,...