Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Night Acid Test



From the Jeff Beck album Truth
Truth (1968) was the first full-length album by Jeff Beck and his backing group. The album featured three original songwriting collaborations between Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart, "Let Me Love You", "Blues Deluxe", and "Rock My Plimsoul". Highlighted by a re-recording of the Yardbirds' "Shapes of Things", Willie Dixon's "I Ain't Superstitious" and the traditional "Greensleeves", it is considered by many to be one of the first heavy metal albums. Both Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones played on "Beck's Bolero", originally recorded in 1966 with Keith Moon on drums and Nicky Hopkins on piano.
I owned too many copies of this album (4 albums and 2 CDs). I kept lending it to friends or apparently giving them away. The above listing from Wikipedia calls it the first Heavy Metal album. There was a lot of confusion with genre back then.

I have many memories about Truth (not necessarily truthful memories). The one that I always think of first happened at 3:00 am in the morning. Two of us were tripping in  a small apartment off Yonge. At some moment during Morning Dew (probably around the 3:45 mark if you listen to the left speaker) we both decided that we should go out and make sure that there still was a morning dew. 

After two long, quiet, blocks, we still weren't sure, when a Toronto cruiser suddenly appeared from behind. The cop made us get in the back seat while he checked our non existent ID. Although glad to see that the world hadn't been destroyed, I just couldn't get the damn song to stop playing in my head. 

Since I was basically comatose, the cop turned to my friend and asked "What colour are your friends eyes?" In a monotone voice and straight dead pan delivery she replied "Stoned blue." From what I remember the cop took a long pause, started laughing his ass off and told us to get out of his car and go home.
That is the problem, when you get old, you tell too many stories. But there is still some Truth left in this one.

No comments:

I guess Mound was right

Every major global climate record was broken last year and 2024 could be worse, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Tuesday,...